Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Beautiful Clarens

This year I would really like to travel more.

We spent the first part of our holiday in Clarens – you may remember I have posted about this magical place before here & here. It is really one of the most beautiful places I have ever been, and the relaxed atmosphere was a great way to start a much needed holiday.

Josh and I arrived on Sunday afternoon, and after having no electricity at home for 5 days before this, decided we would treat ourselves to a night at the Protea hotel. We enjoyed a warm shower, relaxed in the king size bed while watching TV and feasting on far too much room service food.

Within minutes, I could feel the stresses of the year I was leaving behind begin to disappear. This was probably the point at which both Josh and I decided that getting away more was a very necessary ambition for the upcoming year.


The next morning we took advantage of the delicious coffee and vast breakfast buffet, as we waited for friends to arrive that afternoon, for the next part of our stay in Clarens, at Sediba Lodge.

After lunch at The Post House, we set off for the lodge. Sediba lodge is truly luxury accommodation. We stayed in one of the lodges situated on the edge of a trout dam surrounded by the magnificent Clarens Mountains. Besides the amazing surroundings, the lodge itself was absolutely gorgeous, offering all the comforts of home and more.



We spent most afternoons sipping on the local craft beer on the veranda or sitting alongside the dam while the guys enjoyed (unsuccessful) trout fishing, all the while unwinding with the beautiful view.







The day before we left we took a drive to Golden Gate – which is honestly breath taking.
The park gets its name from the golden colour created by the sun’s reflection on the sandstone cliffs.
I find that seeing such vast beauty helps me to put my life into perspective… which is very necessary at times. It is amazing to be reminded of the wonder that exists around me.














We enjoyed a braai every evening, eating indoors, as the weather is really cold at night.
It is hard to believe that after being sun burned in the afternoon, we found ourselves sitting around a fire at night.





On our last night in Clarens, Josh and I took a little walk to look at the stars before bed.
This was the most memorable part of our time in Clarens – which in such a stunning place really speaks volumes. I can’t begin to describe the way I felt as we stood quietly staring at the incredible night sky scattered with literally thousands of stars. I was reminded of a quote by Vincent Van Gogh, which Josh sent to me in the very beginning of our relationship: “For my part I know nothing with any certainty but the sight of the stars makes me dream.”




I look forward to my next visit to this special place again soon.


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment