Monday, January 25, 2016

My Monday Musing


Let’s talk about postmodernism, the subjectivism of the world today. Let’s discuss our truths that lead us to believe in our facts. There is more than one way of knowing, and knowledge is expressed from our own perspective – let’s agree that this world, our knowledge, and to a large degree, even facts all come with a degree of uncertainty.

Let’s explore art galleries the world over. I want you to tell me how you really feel when you look at Matisse’s Yellow Curtain. Let’s debate the influence of van Gogh’s mental illness on his paintings. Did his art console him, as he intended art to console those who are broken by life?
Let’s compare Klimt’s Golden Phase to the changing leaves on an autumn afternoon.

Let’s talk about the way you can hear Yo Yo Ma’s discipline in the way he plays the cello. Let’s compare that to the fluidity and passion I can hear when Jacqueline du Pré plays the same piece of music. Encourage me to play the cello. Let’s discuss the lyrics of all our favourite songs, and what they mean to us.

Tell me how you carry my heart with you, that you carry it in your heart. Let’s talk about the controversial poetry of E.E. Cummings, let’s talk about prejudice. Let us not judge. I want you to notice how, like Maya Angelou, I rise. I want you to know that my love feeds on your love, beloved, and as long as you live it will be in your arms without leaving mine. Let’s remind each other that the Earth and everything that's in it, is ours.

Let’s talk about Mikhail Baryshnikov, Vaslav Nijinsky and Rudolf Nureyev. Tell me who the Critics Circle National Dance Awards has cited as the greatest names in contemporary ballet. Let’s watch and afterwards discuss Marianela Nuñez’s performance as the Black Swan.


But let’s never talk about me being unable to discuss anything real. These things are as real to me as the Rose Quarts and Serenity colours of the sunset.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment